Requirements for Shipping Live Animals
Note: if shipping on American Airlines, you must have filled out their Breed Verification Form, Acclimation form and Customer Acknowledgement form.
- All animals must be at least 8 weeks of age at the time of shipping. Any animal over 12 weeks must have a rabies shot.
- You must have a health certificate from your vet not more than 10 days old.
- Three copies of the health certificate must be given to us the day of shipping to accompany the air waybill. If taking the pet on your own, please make the airlines an extra copy of the health certificate for them to keep.
- The original must be placed in an envelope or in a clear plastic bag and taped to the top of the crate.
- Acclimation Statement: Please make sure your veterinary puts the required temperature acclimation on each pet’s health certificate for the airline you are using. An inaccurate Acclimation Statement could keep your pet from flying.
- Temperature restrictions for Airlines:
- American Airlines will only ship regular nosed animals from 20-85 degrees. You can check your weather for your shipment by going to our home page before going to the airport. An acclimation statement is required.
- Alaskan Air will ship animals 20-85 degrees and sometimes over that, depending on location. Contact our office for more details on that. They also do not require an acclimation statement on your health certificates.
- **Please keep in mind that when we are talking about the temperatures your animals can travel in, that these are the outside temperatures. The animals are subjected to these temperatures for only a short period of time going to and from the aircraft. All Air crafts with ALL Airlines are temperature controlled and pressurized, otherwise they can not use those air crafts to fly your pets. Please also be advised, some airlines provide climate controlled transportation upon arrival in select cities to and from the aircraft. You know your pet better than anyone. Please use your best judgement when temperatures go below or above what you are comfortable with. You may prefer to have your pet travel on a better day.
- Temperature restrictions for Airlines:
- All animals must be shipped in an airline approved pet carrier, with a food and water dish attached to the inside of the crate. Crate must be large enough that the animal can stand (its head erect and not touch the top of the crate with its head or tips of ears). Also, it must have enough space to turn around and lay down comfortably. All airline crates must have nuts and bolts placed in each slot on the crate, instead of the plastic twist clips that were previously used. To purchase an airline approved crate, go to our home page and click on resources and then pet crates.
- Shipping Labels:
- Food and water labels, stating the last time the animal was given food and water. Also the shippers and consignees information. This label should be placed on the top of the crate.
- Live animal stickers, should be placed on both sides of the crate with arrows pointing upward.
- Shredded paper should be placed in the bottom of the crate.
- Additional items are not permitted inside or outside of the travel kennel (e.g. toys, blankets, medications, etc.), per airline restrictions.
- Food: A small zip lock sandwich bag will hold enough food for transporting your puppy. It should be attached to the back side of your crate. You may also place some in the food dish inside your pets carrier. We suggest taking some ice cubes with you to the airport to put in water dish before dropping off at the airport.
- Shipping 2 animals together: You can ship 2 animals together for one shipping price as long as they meet the requirements below:
- Under 6 months of age
- Under 20 lbs each
- Of the same size and breed of animal
- Crate must be large enough to accommodate both animals comfortably.
- Payment: Payment thru Paypal prior to shipment is required. There is a fee of 3.5% to do so. Our office will send you an invoice after we have booked your flight.
If you have any questions on any of the information above, please feel free to contact us.